The Cycling Potential Tool (CPT) provides an evidence-base to support decision-making and investment in cycling.
Since 2015, the CPT has been used to analyse nationwide datasets to identify areas where investment in cycling could have the greatest benefit. The CPT can be used anywhere in Scotland and can produce results down to a street by street level. The tool is intended to benefit local authorities, regional transport partnerships and other active travel delivery bodies as an evidence base to influence policy and decision making.
Using the tool, we examine several factors such as:
- the inherent environment of an area
- strengths and weaknesses of existing cycle networks
- the impact of proposed new infrastructure
- potential numbers of people who could cycle
- potential carbon savings caused by modal shift (people using bikes instead of cars )
The CPT was used for Aberdeenshire Council’s Integrated Travel Towns programme of works and contributed to a number of Community Links and Community Links Plus bids.
To find out more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.